Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Caught in the rain

After some sightseeing, I decided that I wanted a box of  champagne and tea macarons. And so we went off for a quick stroll over to Dalloyau.

About two blocks from the destination (which sat right across from Luxembourg gardens, I might add), it started to drizzle. About one more block, and it was pouring!
A brief respite from the rain - see all the empty seats up front? Usually packed
Quickly as we could, we ran into Cafe Luxembourg which sat next to our destination but more importantly, it was dry. We opted to sit behind the tables which was closest to the edge of the canopy as it was nice to face the streets, looking at the people in the rain...

Cider Yum
After taking an enormous amount of time asking questions and deciding, Barb opted for the cheese "sandwich" and I opted for the pate. :) And a cider. The cider was refreshing! It was nice to sit and chat and just look at the scene.
Cheese in a baguette
Did I mention I neglected to let Barb know that a croque monsieur was a grilled cheese and you just need to opt out of the ham? No? Well I did...and she got a cheese sandwich...cheese in a baguette, sliced and untoasted.... The look on her face was hysterical. Sorry, Barb. But the cheese should have been good...it is Paris, after all!
Pate!!
I love French pate. Maybe it's because I grew up in a house where my mom told me how good french goods were - from her days as a child when grandpa was alive and imported many french goods - one of which was pate. Of course, this is not the fois gras but regular fois made from pork. At any rate, this was really good!
Be more personal with my pate...
I also love french baguette and I mean real Parisian stuff - not the crap we call baguettes at home. The flour I think makes a difference. Theirs come out crispy outside with a spongy soft and slightly sweet center. Delicious. Afterwards, I got my delicious macs and we went back to the hotel for a bit before setting out again.

Some of the flavors of Amorino
Then we walked around some more - alot more - I can't lie. I made Barb walk like she was on pilgrimage. And we rounded and rounded until we hit Amorino!!!! I had given up on getting this.  The special thing about Amorino is that their gelato is served in layers on in a cone. Beautiful!

Rose of Pistachio and Rum Raisin
But this means you can try many flavors! I didn't and opted for the rum raisin and pistachio. I can tell you, it was a few petals of manna from heaven. Truly creamy, flavorful and delicious. The pistachio was very rich and very good. The rum raisin was delicately flavored with rum and vanilla with plump juicy raisins. Fantastic shop.

Cafe Luxembourg
58 Boulevard Saint-Michel, 75006 Paris, France
Tel. 01 43 54 20 03

4 rue de Buci 75006 Paris
Tel : 01 43 26 57 46

No comments:

Post a Comment